Jesus is Really Good
The Leap of Faith "Jesus is Really Good" was developed in 2003 by Dave Schmelzer, Brian Housman, and the Greater Boston Vineyard. All available resources for this faith experience can be downloaded at the bottom of the page. If you are a church and have never run a Leap of Faith before, we highly recommend you start with "Crossing the Moat." If you're looking to run the Leap of Faith in small group for the first time (specifically one that might be new to faith), "Jesus is Really Good" might be an excellent place to start.
Here is a brief overview:
- Praying the Psalms (Psalms 1-150) -- Participants are encouraged to pray at least 10 Psalms a day (out loud if possible) as if they were their own prayers. "When we pray Psalms, we’re taking on a much greater identity than we actually have. We pray with David as he faces thousands of enemies. We pray in utter despair. We praise God as if our most intimate and awesome dreams have just come to pass. We pray as if we’ve been ruinously slandered by our closest friends. We ask God to kick our enemies’ teeth in. As we take on these roles—in actual prayers to an actual God—it seems to me that we find our own soul being expanded. Suddenly our concerns go beyond just our immediate needs, and that does something powerful to us, to our whole sense of identity, to our dreams for our future. We find our lives being simplified..."
- Parable of the Sower (Mark 4:15-20) -- This parable is used to encourage participants to pray for their six and ask God to help them cultivate other people to be healthy, responsive soil. Participants are encouraged share with their six the good things God has done (tied back into the Psalms compelling picture "...Tell everyone the amazing things He has done!" Ps. 96:3b)
- Generosity --In addition to the gospel of Mark (Bible Guide) participants were encouraged to read a few additional resources in a sectional called "Learning about Giving." Over the years, we found these resources to be more problematic than helpful, so we’ve cut them. If you have additional resources that you find helpful, feel free to create your own “Learning about Giving” section and then share it with the rest of us in the forum.
- Jesus is Really Good User's Manual -- This 15 page document (edited for easy adaptability) provides a detailed introduction to the Leap of Faith theme "Jesus is Really Good" along with suggestions on how to participate.
- Jesus is Really Good Bible Guide -- This six week in depth Bible Guide (unedited) walks readers through the entire gospel of Mark providing daily insight into each passage and giving helpful suggestions of how the reader can get the most out of their Leap of Faith experience.
- Jesus is Really Good Sermon Notes -- These are the preacher's notes for all seven sermons.